As you may know, Bonus Giant was originally known for reviewing online casino bonuses that were aimed at customers from Australia and New Zealand. Sadly for us, this era is now at a close, because increasingly tight legislation in Australia means that trusted operators of the world’s favourite slots and casino software will not be able to provide services in the region. Bonus Giant now solely offers bonuses for New Zealand and worldwide players, we don’t promote to Australia any more. Sorry guys.
For players, this means two things:
- Your favourite slots from providers like NetEnt, Microgaming and WMS will not be available online (a little like the situation with Aristocrat).
- You will be presented with opportunities to gamble at other places with far less regulation and protection.
What can Australian casino fans do now?
Quite honestly, we think you should wait and see what happens. It may be that the government will relax a little and allow some form of licensed operation. We think the situation in the UK is working well, even though the taxes are high and the legislation can be tricky to implement. The UK operators are being driven to provide more player security (including player funds being held separately from general company funds in the event of the casino going bust – you will be repaid!), and to ensure that operators advertise reponsibly. We all know that gambling has the potential to cause harm, but we all equally know that an unregulated gambling industry is more likely to create player issues!
Be careful playing at online casinos!
You may be thinking about the following:
- Signing up at a casino using a proxy server to pretend you’re not in Australia!
- This is probably your worst option. The casino will not know you are Australian until they come to run identity checks before paying out any winnings. What do you think will happen then? That’s right…no payout for you!
- Playing at an unlicensed casino that accepts Australian players.
- Well, this is a bit of a minefield. As an Australian citizen, it appears that you are quite within your rights to do this, but the operator will be provding services illegally. While there are many online casinos using software from Rival and RTG that offers slots games to players worldwide (including the USA), the quality varies massively. You are taking a big risk here, and you will have little to no comeback if things go wrong.
- Playing at a bitcoin casino.
- Bitcoin casinos are effectively just casinos that offer a bitcoin payment option. The slots and customer service on offer can be right up there with the best. As bitcoin is a virtual and near anonymous payment method, it is possible to play through a proxy and withdraw payments without the usual issues. Follow the link to find out more about bitcoin casinos.